How difficult is the GMAT test? Definitely this test represents a challenge The following article is for all students aspiring to an MBA Here you will find some characteristics and difficulties of the GMAT exam, as well as some tips to overcome the possible challenges of the exam.
The GMAT exam
According to aviationopedia, GMAT represents Graduate Management Admission Test. Some students find the GMAT exam difficult because they have to solve it in a few hours and answer each question efficiently on average in less than 2 minutes Others are stressed by the format of the test itself.
Don’t be afraid of him! The GMAT exam is not impossible and there is no reason to panic, especially if you know what to expect and have prepared properly You don’t need any business knowledge to be successful on the GMAT, instead you just need to test your basic critical thinking, writing and logic skills, as well as basic math concepts.
We design a comprehensive course for the preparation of the GMAT exam The program includes a diagnostic test, drills and classes with our specialized teachers who will explain exactly how to approach each part of the GMAT and what strategies you should practice In addition to them, you will have access to a virtual platform with more than 1,300 exercises and 15 online simulations to take from wherever you want.
How difficult is the GMAT? 7 main challenges
Let’s start by reviewing some of the factors that contribute to GMAT difficulty.
1. It’s long
The four sections of the GMAT together last approximately four hours Because this test requires a lot of stamina, you’ll have two optional eight-minute breaks, so you’ll definitely want to take advantage of them to give your mind a little rest.
2. Timing is everything
The time limits on the GMAT can be difficult for you You will have 30 minutes to complete the Analytical Writing Assessment, 30 minutes to answer 12 Integrated Reasoning questions, 62 minutes to complete the 31 questions in the Quantitative section, and 65 minutes for the 36 questions in the Verbal section Remember that if you don’t answer all the questions in a section, this could significantly affect your score.
Make sure you know how long to take on each question, and keep track of your time as you progress through the exam.
3. Verbal and analytical writing sections require strong English skills
International students and non-native English speakers often find the verbal and writing sections extremely difficult You may feel uncomfortable writing extensively in English because of your concern about spelling and grammar mistakes The high-level vocabulary in the verbal section can also be challenging for you, but don’t worry If you practice writing essays and looking for unfamiliar terms during your prep courses and drills, this section will not be a problem.
You will be interested: ” How to pass the GMAT test if you are not a native of the English language “.
4. It is a computerized test
The computerized structure of the GMAT confuses some students, so learning about the format will help You should know that the exam is adapted according to the level of each student For example, if a student answers the easier questions incorrectly, they will not be given many difficult questions Your score will be determined both by the number of questions you answer correctly and by the difficulty of each one.
Also, due to the format of the GMAT exam, you cannot go back to the previous questions once you have confirmed your answers.
5. Questions are often complicated and involve multiple steps
Many questions on the GMAT have multiple parts, you will have to answer all the parts correctly to get the corresponding score This is usually the case in the integrated reasoning section – all questions in this section are multi-part and partial credit is not given.
Second, the wording of various types of GMAT questions can be confusing In the data sufficiency questions in the Quantitative section, for example, you will be asked to determine whether certain given information (such as a value of x) is sufficient to solve a problem or equation The best way to prepare for these kinds of oddly worded questions is to simply familiarize yourself with them and fully prepare yourself.
The Quantitative section consists mainly of math concepts that you probably studied in high school and may not have reviewed in a while If you haven’t reviewed and reinforced your math skills in trigonometry, algebra, and geometry, this section may be really difficult for you.
7. You cannot use a calculator in the quantitative section
Some students get nervous about not being able to use a calculator in the quantitative section The good news is that there is a calculator on the screen during the integrated reasoning section.
How to overcome the difficulties of the GMAT
- The key to managing your stress before GMAT is familiarizing yourself with the format Practice and drills will help you simulate the test conditions.
- 2 If you are nervous about the verbal section, start reading high-level material Academic journals (covering business, humanities and arts, social sciences, physical sciences and natural sciences), newspapers, legal documents will give you a head start on the kind of reading that awaits you on the GMAT.
- Review basic math concepts Review trigonometry, algebra, arithmetic, and geometry skills as early as possible during your preparation You don’t need to learn the more difficult concepts, just the higher-level ones you learned in high school.
- Learn to perform calculations without the help of a calculator By estimating, rounding, and solving arithmetic problems quickly in your head, your life will be much easier during testing If you develop these skills, you won’t get stuck doing manual calculations on paper.
- In the Verbal section you will find all the answers directly in the corresponding passage This means that you can easily use the elimination process to determine your response options Remember, the GMAT test is a standardized test, so the answer to each question cannot be questionable or subjective.
- Rest before the test Since the test requires stamina, be sure to get plenty of rest not just the day before the test, but the week before if possible.