Hobby is a word of English that is used to refer to hobbies or activities that are practiced for pleasure and recreation in leisure time. As such, hobby [jobi] is an anglicism that in Spanish we can translate as ‘hobby’ or ‘favorite distraction’. His plural is written hobbies [jobis].
A hobby is not an obligation that demands full-time dedication, but is practiced for pleasure, with the aim of relieving the stress of daily routine, whether school or work and, therefore, does not report any kind of economic benefit.
In this sense, a hobby is not a work activity, but an escape route to relax and spread. In any case, it may contain a certain level of affinity with our professional occupation, which, in its own way, can report knowledge or help develop certain skills.
Types of hobby
The hobbies can be practical or intellectual. Some of the most popular are collecting, gardening, photography, painting or drawing. You can also mention activities such as playing an instrument, singing, acting, doing magic, building scale models, cooking, reading, playing a sport, walking, climbing, fishing, etc.
Benefits of practicing a hobby
The health benefits of having and routinely practicing a hobby are invaluable. For psychologists and doctors, a hobby constitutes doing something that is truly enjoyed, and that compensates for and balances daily activities, all of which have a positive impact on the physical and mental health of the individual, as well as on their quality of life in general. A good hobby:
- It helps to exercise body and mind, or to balance the use we give to one or the other in the daily routine.
- Open doors to develop hidden abilities or to better understand one’s virtues.
- It allows to cultivate discipline, creative potential (artistic disciplines) or healthy competition (sports).
- Relieves and helps drain the stresses of everyday stress.
- It is the best remedy against depression, anxiety, nervousness, as well as helps prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- It improves, expands and diversifies social life and, therefore, the quality of life.