The acronym “TOEFL” as a trademark, belongs to Educational Testing Service (ETS), a non-profit organization, which designs and administers the tests.
The TOEFL test is applied to measure the level of English, and it is very essential for those who are considering the possibility of studying in an English-speaking country.
Why is it important to prepare very well for the TOEFL?
The TOEFL test measures the ability to use and understand the English language at the college level. Assesses the combination of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills to develop academic tasks.
Although, in case of not accrediting it in the first attempt, 12 days of tolerance are given to try again, preparing very well before presenting it is essential since if you do so, you will save time, money and effort.
The TOEFL is an exam admitted in more than 9,000 universities and organizations among other institutions, in addition to being accepted in some 130 countries. See TOEFL test locations and test dates worldwide on TOPSCHOOLSINTHEUSA.
In the case of the TOEFL test, the score obtained is valid for two years. At the end of this period, the test must be performed again to renew its validity.
Generally those who decide to present it are;
- Students entering an institution of higher education.
- Admissions and graduation from the English language learning program.
- Candidates for scholarships and certifications.
- English learners who want to monitor their progress.
- Students and workers applying for visas.
- Whether you are among these types of people or not, never doubt that preparing to take the TOEFL is one of the best investments you can make, as English has become a basic language.
7 things you didn’t know about the TOEFL
If you are thinking of applying to a university abroad, or if you are already preparing with us to take the TOEFL, there are some important points about this exam that will help you to be better prepared.
- What is TOEFL: The TOEFL (which means Test of English as a Foreign Language according to ABBREVIATIONFINDER.ORG) is an English test that measures the ability to understand and use English in a university environment. Being one of the highest recognized English exams in the world, taking the TOEFL will be ideal for you if your objective is to study abroad, since it will allow you to know your reading, writing, listening comprehension, and speaking skills in an academic level.
- Duration of the TOEFL: The TOEFL lasts approximately 4 hours. So don’t take this test lightly – being in front of a computer and using all your energy to answer questions requires a good night’s sleep.
- TOEFL sections: This test has four sections: reading comprehension, listening, writing and speaking.
In the Reading part, the exam seeks to know how easy it is for you to find information in a text, understand a subject in a basic way and learn about it. You are given an approximate of 36 to 56 questions and you will have an approximate time limit 60 to 80 minutes.
In the auditory part, you will listen to lectures, debates and conversations in class, then you will have to answer questions about what is proposed. They give you an approximate of 34 to 51 questions and you will have an approximate time limit of 60 to 90 minutes.
Once you take a 10 minute break, you will start the Speaking section. In this section you will have to demonstrate your oral skills in English. You are given 6 tasks and you will have a time limit of 20 minutes.
In the written expression part, you will have to write two essays of approximately 300 words each. The first essay will be related to a passage that you will have to read and a class that you will have to listen to; while in the second essay you will have to answer a question expressing your opinion on a topic that is familiar to you.
- TOEFL Scores: The TOEFL measures the level of English proficiency on a scale between 0-120. Each of the sections is measured on an independent scale between 0-30, with 0 being the minimum score and 30 being the maximum score that you can obtain in each section. The total score of the exam, which can be a maximum of 120, is the sum of the total achieved in each section. In relation to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, obtaining an overall score between 57-86 is equivalent to having a B1 level of English, that is, an intermediate level A grade between 87-109 is similar to having a B2 level, which is high intermediate. Exam scores between 110-120 equate to level C1 which is a high level.
- Validity of TOEFL Results: You will be able to check your TOEFL scores on the Internet 10-13 days after taking the exam. However, you will receive your physical scores between 4-6 weeks after the date you took the TOEFL. Your results will be valid for two years from the date you took the test.
- TOEFL Price: The exam has a cost of $ 200 (at the time of publishing this note)
- How many times can the TOEFL be taken? Although the TOEFL is neither passed nor failed, if you don’t get the score you needed, you can take the TOEFL as many times as you want. However, you should keep in mind that you will not be able to register for the exam more than once in a 12-day period.