Sturgeon Lake is located in Pine County, Minnesota, about one hour north of the Twin Cities metro area. The population of Sturgeon Lake is roughly 1,500 people, with the majority of residents being of Scandinavian descent. Geographically, Sturgeon Lake is situated in the rolling hills and forests of northern Minnesota. The climate in Sturgeon Lake is typical for this region: cold winters with lots of snow and warm summers with occasional thunderstorms. Check whicheverhealth for information about Aitkin, Minnesota.
The history of Sturgeon Lake dates back to the late 1800s when a group of Swedish immigrants settled in the area. Since then, the town has steadily grown in size and now boasts a vibrant community with a strong sense of pride and tradition. Politically speaking, Sturgeon Lake leans towards a conservative viewpoint but there are plenty of progressive voices as well.
The economy in Sturgeon Lake is mostly based on agriculture, logging and tourism. There are several small businesses that cater to both locals and tourists alike including restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations and motels. The schools within the town are all part of the Pine County School District which offers both public education as well as private religious schools for those interested.
As for landmarks within Sturgeon Lake there are plenty to choose from! One popular spot among visitors is “The Big Rock” which was used as an important trading post by Native Americans centuries ago. Other notable landmarks include historic churches such as St John’s Lutheran Church which dates back to 1868; “The Old School House” which was built in 1901; and Memorial Park which features playgrounds, picnic areas and trails for visitors to enjoy year-round!
Population: 347. Estimated population in July 2020: 390 (+12.4% change)
Males: 169 (48.7%), Females: 178 (51.3%)
Zip code: 55783
Median resident age: 33.3 years
Median household income: $36,875
Median house value: $80,000
Races in Sturgeon Lake:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.8%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (42.4%), Swedish (19.0%), Norwegian (15.0%), Polish (15.0%), Irish (12.7%), Czech (8.1%).
Elevation: 1074 feet
Land area: 3.5 square miles
Sturgeon Lake, Minnesota is a small town located in the Northern part of Minnesota, USA. With a population of just over 500 people, it’s a tight-knit community with a strong sense of pride and family values. The town is surrounded by lakes and rivers, giving it an abundance of natural beauty. The cost of living in Sturgeon Lake is relatively low compared to other cities in the state. Renting an apartment costs on average around $700/month and buying a house will run you around $175,000. Groceries are also affordable with basic items costing around the same as they would in any other city in the state. Utilities such as electricity and water are also very affordable compared to larger cities. Overall, Sturgeon Lake is an affordable place to live with plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy throughout the year.
In addition to its low cost of living, Sturgeon Lake offers many recreational activities for its residents and visitors alike. From fishing and hunting to golfing and snowmobiling, there’s something for everyone here! The city also hosts several festivals throughout the year including an annual blueberry festival that celebrates local produce while bringing people together from all over the region. There are also plenty of unique shops along Main Street offering everything from antiques to handmade gifts that make perfect souvenirs or gifts for loved ones back home. No matter what you’re looking for, Sturgeon Lake has something for everyone!
For population 25 years and over in Sturgeon Lake
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.4%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sturgeon Lake city
- Never married: 27.6%
- Now married: 56.6%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 9.3%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +116 (+50.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sturgeon Lake:
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; MOOSE LAKE, MN)
- PINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; SANDSTONE, MN)
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; CLOQUET, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sturgeon Lake:
- DULUTH INTL (about 55 miles; DULUTH, MN; Abbreviation: DLH)
- CHISHOLM-HIBBING (about 69 miles; HIBBING, MN; Abbreviation: HIB)
- GRAND RAPIDS/ITASCA CO-GORDON NEWSTROM FLD (about 73 miles; GRAND RAPIDS, MN; Abbreviation: GPZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sturgeon Lake:
- MOOSE LAKE CARLTON COUNTY (about 3 miles; MOOSE LAKE, MN; Abbreviation: MZH)
- CLOQUET CARLTON COUNTY (about 32 miles; CLOQUET, MN; Abbreviation: COQ)
- ISEDOR IVERSON (about 37 miles; MC GREGOR, MN; Abbreviation: 17Y)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sturgeon Lake:
- LAKE SUPERIOR COLLEGE (about 54 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,512)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-SUPERIOR (about 55 miles; SUPERIOR, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,436)
- UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA-DULUTH (about 60 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 8,224)
- WISCONSIN INDIANHEAD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 73 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,045)
- CENTURY COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 91 miles; WHITE BEAR LAKE, MN; Full-time enrollment: 4,381)
- ANOKA-RAMSEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; COON RAPIDS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,627)
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 93 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)